The purpose of a local PTA in common with those of the National PTA and Maryland State PTA are:
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, places of worship and throughout the community,
- To raise the standards of home life,
- To advocate for laws that further the education, physical and mental health, welfare and safety of children and youth,
- To promote the collaboration and engagement of families and educators in the education of children and youth,
- To engage the public in united efforts to secure the physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social well-being of all children and youth; and
- To advocate for fiscal responsibility regarding public tax dollars in public education funding.
The MHES PTA's mission is to provide every child with the tools they need to be successful.
Our Goals for the 2018-2019 school year:
- We want to increase participation in school activities and events, as well as increase our PTA membership. We especially want to encourage participation by dad's. Our goal is to create a community oriented and friendly environment where everyone feels welcome and encouraged.
- Communication. Utilizing the marketing concept of three, our goal is to increase communication efforts while streamlining where the communications originate. We will utilize the tools of our new PTA website, issue quarterly newsletters and make use of social media tools such as our Mt. Harmony Community page on Facebook. All information pertaining to Mt. Harmony school and events will now be easy to access. No longer will you have to search through emails or scroll through past postings to find the answers you need.
- Community. We are looking at this in two ways. Our MHES School Community as well as the Calvert County community that surrounds us. We want to build relationships with organizations and businesses in our community by supporting them first and buying local as much as possible. We also want to shift the Cultural Arts focus of the past to a Calvert County focus by increasing education and participation in Calvert County and Maryland related activities, such as those that focus on the Chesapeake Bay, farming, oysters and other ecological resources found in our own backyard. This year we adopted the theme of "Giving Back", which will continue throughout the school year. We will look for ways to increase student and family participation in school and local activities that promote the ideas of Giving, Sharing, Positivity, Kindness and Building Communities. Portions of funds raised this year will be used to support End Hunger of Calvert County and Project Echo, as well as to create a Mustang Scholarship fund available to MHES alumni students.